Guidelines for Fractured Nose
- Establish injury mode of impact and confirm fracture.
- Stop bleeding with cautery - silver nitrate or packing
- Exclude other fractures especially to zygomatic arch, maxilla and mandible and orbital rim - by palpation or by x-ray
- Exclude septal haematoma - palpate with cotton bud or blunt instrument.
- Septal haematoma needs urgent referral.
- Establish external deviation +/- septal deviation - refer
- Refer all patients - especially when swollen and difficult to establish deviation
- Refer new fracture and old fracture - immediate or late
Specialist ENT Surgeon
For all enquiries and appointments call (09) 925 4050Gillies Hospital & Clinic
160 Gillies Avenue
Epsom, Auckland 1005
Facsimile: (09) 925 4051
Only general information is provided on this web site and is not intended as advice or a consultation. Please read our full disclaimer.